Matthew loves to bring electronic devices to life through the magic and discipline of embedded software engineering.
With 20 years of software and firmware development experience, Matthew has run the gamut, solving problems in complex high volume consumer electronics products to tiny, but deceptively complex, microcontroller based devices.
- Software and firmware consulting, development, and project planning
- Embedded systems software architecture and system design
- Code Reviews
- Embedded software training: focused on best practices, TDD and C++
- Expert witness and expert consultant services for legal teams involved in software related litigation.
- Due diligence support
- Product development research
- Note: Matthew’s product development consulting services provided directly via “Matthew Eshleman Consulting”
- High Honors, MSEE and BEE: Georgia Tech
- Senior Member of The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
- Adherent to the IEEE code of ethics.
- Delivered embedded software for products used by millions
“… we have found Matthew’s service to be extremely cost effective; mainly because of his broad depth of knowledge and ability to quickly generate code for specific functions and applications while keeping a complete understanding of the entire system in perspective … I cannot say enough positive things about our contracting and consulting experience with Matthew Eshleman.”Tom Jones – Research Electronics International – General Manager
“Bird Electronic Corporation engaged Matthew Eshleman to perform a firmware source code review with the goal of identifying a particularly challenging fault. Matthew reviewed our code base and rapidly identified dozens of valuable, actionable recommendations, focused primarily on multi-threaded software faults. His reporting was well organized, clear, and concise, helping our team identify the recommendations that were most likely to be the cause of the fault. We applied the necessary changes, and our subsequent testing has shown the fault to be completely resolved. Matthew’s rapid review and recommendations helped our company resolve a critical problem for a valuable customer and enable new business opportunities. We are grateful for his expert insights into our source code, and look forward to working with Matthew again in the future.”Melvin R. Holt, Jr. – Software Development Manager
Skills and Expertise
- Software architecture and team leadership
- Event driven design patterns and hierarchical state machines
- Products with digital communications and RF requirements such as:
- Bluetooth, Cellular, DTV, Satellite, Cable, GPS, Tuners
- Languages: C++, C#, C, among others
- Frameworks: Qt, .Net, among others
- Libraries: QP, LwIP, among others
- System network communications protocols such as MQTT, CoAP, others
- Test Driven Development (TDD) of embedded software and firmware
- Microcontrollers: SMT32F4, STM32F7, STM32F3, ESP32, various ARM, others
- Application processors: ARM A8, A9, Xilinx Zynq, TI AM335x, Toshiba ARM and MIPS, others
- Real Time Operating Systems: FreeRTOS, QXK, QK, Embedded Linux, pSOS, among others
- Bare metal firmware
- Factory testing and programming support software
- U.S. Patent No. 7,505,081: System and method for preserving external storage device control while in picture-outside-picture (POP) or picture-in-picture (PIP) modes
- U.S. Patent No. 6,434,562: Computer system and method for providing digital video and data over a communication channel
- U.S. Patent No. 6,154,772: System and method for the delivery of digital video and data over a communication channel
- U.S. Patent No. 6,208,666: System and method for maintaining timing synchronization in a digital video network
Located outside Nashville in the state of Tennessee, Matthew is here to be of service.